Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Aug 1 22:05:07 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I've never done this, so I'm just throwing out ideas for you to consider.
> You
> are connecting to alfred in order to print.  If you set up printers in
> samba you have to set whether the driver is going to be local or remote -
> how do you do that in the cups setup?

Thanks again for your response.

When setting up the printer on the laptop,
I say that it is a network printer, choose http as the protocol,
and give the URI of the printer, in this case
	http://192.168.2.1:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L .

(The printer is never found by clicking on Network Find Printer.)

> The other thing that comes to mind is that because it is attached to
> alfred,
> you definitely have to authenticate there.  You'd need either matching
> username and password or user-mapping, I would have thought.

There is no suggestion that one has to setup anything,
and I don't see where one could set username/password
in any of the CUPS files.

> Hope it starts off some useful train o thought.

Yes, thanks.
I'll try setting up some form of authentication,
or else try turning it off.
But when I googled for the error message,
none of those who encountered the problem
seemed to have found any simple solution.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net