Is there a command that knows about my bios?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Sun Aug 2 10:19:01 UTC 2009

In our shop we have some software running on the windows boxes that
'audits' the machine. Most of the information is easily (and freely)
duplicated on a linux box (mostly by looking in /proc/cpuinfo
/proc/meminfo, /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, even  /etc/X11/xorg.conf|), but
I haven't found anything about bios. Anyone have a clue for me, how to
find out?

The windows program outputs stuff like this about bios:

Dell Inc. A06 SMBIOS 2.4 Date: 4/3/2008

As I was about to send this off I found smbios-sys-info, which fits
the bill. And it throws in info about the make and model of the PC for
good measure!

I guess I'll send this out anyhow, in case it helps someone else
googling howto detect bios info on linux or how to see bios info with
linux.

mahalo,
Dave

metadata PC make and model bios smbios linux fedora centos ezaudit audit