How to gut &%$#&#@ Firefox?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 21:17:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:00:06 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 19:06 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	They make it incredibly tedious to get rid of all their miserable
>> language-pack cruft -- and the minute you turn your back, they shove it
>> all in again.
>>
>> 	Is there a way to prevent / disable that abominable practice?
>
> Complain to Mozilla. They have a Bugzilla page. If you post the number
> here I'm sure a lot of people will back you up.

	I'd've been glad to -- till it kept telling me over and over, no
matter what else I did, that my ID or password was invalid. This has been
absolutely typical of every attempt I have ever made to use mozillazine
or any other never-to-be-sufficiently-accursed mozilla site. (That's one
reason I posted here, instead of to one of their &%$#& exercises in
frustration.) If I get onto some site of theirs at all, it turns out
absurdly difficult to find anything, and worse to post.

> Actually I don't mind the language extensions per se. What I do mind is
> the insanely tedious process of disabling them one by one, especially as
> the disabled state is not persistent across FF versions.

	Almost exactly what I was trying to say. Only disabling is not
nearly good enough. If you su - a terminal tab to root and launch firefox
from the CLI, you can uninstall instead. It's no more tedious, and then
at least they're off your machine -- for a while.

>> 	Or has the time come to admit that the blasted browser is not
>> worth the trouble it takes?
>
> I still prefer it to the alternatives.

	There are a few extensions on account of which I've been keeping
it; but that motive grows ever fainter. If I can get those extensions on
some other browser, Firefox (which, alas!, I have used and advocated
since it was Phoenix 0.4) is toast, and good riddance.