Automatically grant user permission to use USB scanner in F11 x86_64

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Aug 3 01:14:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:43:51 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> There used to be a rule set for scaners in /etc/udev/rules.d that
> created a scanner symlink, and set permissions. But can't seem to
> find it any more. This makes me suspect that HAL or ConsoleKit has
> taken over. It is possible that your scanner is not being recognized
> by the software... If so, this would be a good time to file a bug
> report so they can add it to the list.

Yeah, it is a scanner that hasn't been supported in sane before this
(Visioneer OneTouch 7400, the Visioneer OneTouch 7300 is supported), so
there will be lots of things to do.  I'll be reporting to sane, so maybe
it will get fixed via upstream.

> In the mean time, you can write a udev rule to set permissions on
> the device. Does "ls /dev/scanner*" show a symlink for the scanner?

In my searching so far, this seems to be obsolete because it used the
scanner module in the kernel.  The modern solution is to use libusb for
usb scanners.