Solved: Re: Automatically grant user permission to use USB scanner in F11 x86_64

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Aug 3 02:44:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:09:47 -0700
stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> Is there an elegant way to allow a
> regular user to run xsane for a USB scanner?   That works even when
> it is not present at boot but is hot plugged later?

The solution is hal.  It seems that libsane has been removed from
/etc/udev/rules.d and everything is in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/19-libsane.fdi

When I added a rule for the vendor with the id of the device to that
file, I was then able to access it as a normal user.

There were problems with using the device through xsane, but it could
scan. I think this is because the device is not officially supported
and I'm only piggybacking on another version.

It worked after unplugging and plugging as well.