Sorta OT - anyone replaced MSFT Sharepoint with any OSS products?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Aug 3 10:56:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Craig White wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 21:07 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > All -
> >
> > I have a friend who owns a small business and who uses Microsoft
> > Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007.  As you might suspect, it's
> > a car with the hood welded shut, and I hate it.  I help him out
> > with IT stuff and I've had to fight MOSS 2007 for some time.  It
> > is agonizingly painful, and it's a massive security risk as far as
> > I'm concerned.
> >
> > I've heard that Alfresco can replace MOSS.  Anyone got any
> > experience with this kind of migration?
> ----
> I have set up Alfresco but minimal experience with Sharepoint.
>
> Alfresco is pretty cool but I don't know about feature for feature
> comparisons...perhaps you can get that kind of thing from Alfresco's
> web site.

  there's a new kid in town -- nuxeo:  http://nuxeo.org and
http://nuxeo.com.  fully open source.  i installed it recently on f11
just so a friend could look at it:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Nuxeo

i didn't get much further than just the installation and firing it up
to verify that it worked, so you might want to poke around and see if
has what you need.

rday

"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com:          http://cli.gs/WG6WYX