conflicted file in update this morning?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Aug 3 19:22:13 UTC 2009

Alan Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:30:43 -0700 Alan Evans wrote:
>>> That can't be it. Today's updates were all already installed packages.
>>> Where should users go to find out? It's in none of the docs that I can
>>> find.
>> man yum.conf
>>
>> search down for 'color'. It lists the options and what the defaults
>> are.
>
> Why of course it is! Silly me; what was I thinking? [/sarcasm]
>
> Seriously, thanks for that. Although it only deepens the mystery for
> me. According to that page, bold means that the currently installed
> packages are older than the packages that are available in updates. In
> other words, completely normal updates. Normal, non-bold, means that
> the package is to be reinstalled because the available package is the
> same version as the installed package. In such a case, I'm curious why
> yum thinks it needs to be updated at all.

It's not.  Read the man page again.  I quote:

        color_list_installed_reinstall
               The colorization/highlighting for pacakges in list/info
	      installed which is the same version as the latest
	      available package with the same name and arch.  Default is
	      ‘normal’.   See color_list_installed_older for possible
	      values.

(and yes, "pacakages" is verbatim from the man page).  I read that
(disregarding the typo and mixing of singles and plurals) as "items
shown in normal text are already installed and current."  Perhaps I'm
wrong.

> Nevertheless, I've never noticed bold before in yum's to-be-updated
> list, and I've been using yum a long time. Perhaps it just escaped my
> eagle eye. But in this case, the installed version (libX11-1.2.1) is
> certainly not the same as the version that was updated to
> (libX11-1.2.2), so I find that the man page for yum.conf is incorrect.
> (As well as unintuitive to find.)

With the exception of the English nits I picked above, it appears
correct to me.  I think your reading of the man page was a bit skewed.

> Ah well, I got the update done, so I guess I shouldn't care. It's just
> that I'm naturally bugged by things that don't make sense to me. But
> it's all in the past now.

It bugs me, too, but in this case I think it's unwarranted.
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -