microsoft natural keyboard 4000 F10/Spell

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 00:46:56 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> It does, however, have those horrible dual-function F-keys where the F-keys work
> normally (F1, F2, etc) when the F-lock key is on, but have different functions
> (Help, Undo, etc) when the F-lock key is off.
>
> I figure the fix is to fire up xev, get the keycodes for each of the function
> keys when F-lock is off, then write a little xmodmaprc file to reprogram those
> keys to act "normal".

I think the original software that comes with the keyboard lets you
switch the default mode to f-lock.
I'm using a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo (I think model is LX300). The
keyboard has an F-lock button and I recall struggling with it when I
just got it. But at some point I booted into Windows, installed their
software and set it to default to normal mode.

The proper fix would thus be snooping the commands sent by official
software to the keyboard and write an open source equivalent for setting
these things.

Wireless keyboards also have some security which can be enabled with
that software. Though as you probably know, it's not implemented
properly most of the time - most likely they just XOR the secret key
over and over :(