DVD-ROM thinks every disk is a blank disc

Andrig T. Miller andrig.t.miller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 02:28:03 UTC 2009

I had an older PC lying around that had a bad memory chip in it, and I
decided to get it up and running again.  I installed Fedora 11 (with
the bad memory chip removed) on it, and everything seems to work
great, except my DVD-ROM.

There are no errors in dmesg or messages, and the drive is detected
properly as well.

When I insert any DVD, it basically shows a "Blank DVD" icon on the
desktop, and prompts to open the CD/DVD Creator.

It worked fine to boot of the DVD installation media, so the drive
seems okay, and I know the discs I have tried are good because I'm
able to successfully use them on another Fedora 11 laptop that I have.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before?  If so, if someone could
point me in the right direction to determine what's wrong, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks.

Andy