Missing smbmount

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 4 21:02:23 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 03 August 2009 19:58:17 Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> It's nice to be cutting edge, but Fedora has a habit of killing the old
>> (working) way to do things. This is a case in point, the developers bright
>> shiny machines may all use cifs instead of smb, but old servers seem not
>> to.
>
> smbmount has been deprecated and cifs been preferred for a long time - a
> couple of years, I'd guess.  It's part of samba development, not Fedora's
> whim.

I doubt that the samba team force Fedora to compile without smbmount support in
the kernel or to leave it out of a default install. If you need to talk to a
system which speaks smb, cifs doesn't cut it, whereas I believe that any system
which use cifs will also do smb. My limited understanding make it look like a
subset thing.

If you need smbmount, then you have to either build everything yourself or go to
another distribution. The protocols seem to be different in practice.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>