How well does Fedora handle ATI cards?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 4 21:46:36 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:
> I already said that I had no problem with my NVIDIA card and Fedora. Once
> you know that you must get your instructions at rpmfusion, everything is
> fine. The Nouveau driver also worked very well, but only in 2D, of course.
> Suse, and Mint, which I tried yesterday, only got me to a 800 x 600
> screen.

You should be able to get higher resolution that that, first go into hardware
selection (system->administration->display) and be sure the display type is set
to a large screen size, then log out and back in, and set the size you want to
use in the same menu. And log out and back in. Finally set the size you want in
System->Preferences->Hardware->ScreenResolution. Then log out and log again yet
again. That should do it.

Yes, the log out and in is like rebooting Windows, And if that doesn't help, you
may need to install and run system-config-display from the command line and see
if that works better.

> I suppose the Nouveau driver recognizes ATI cards but what if you want 3D?
>
> I found this for x86_64:
>
> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/testing/10/x86_64/repoview/kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.x86_64.html
>
> but it's for an old kernel and an old version of Fedora.
>
> How do you manage ATI cards with F11 and the 2.6.29.6-213.fc11.x86_64 kernel?

The default driver should provide up to 2D correct function, but it is very
s...l...o...w on some graphics chips. There was a fast vendor driver for F10,
but it wasn't free enough, so Fedora was upgraded to a kernel which can't use
the better drivers.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>