low-level formatter for linux

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Wed Aug 5 03:45:22 UTC 2009

> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 03:33:25 +0000
> From: geleem at bellsouth.net
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: low-level formatter for linux
>
> Markus Kesaromous wrote:
>
>> Is there a low-level HD formatter for linux?
>
> linux-google search "low-level+format", will give 97k hits.
>
> mainly, for a truly oem *low-level format* you need an oem format program.
> they are available in dos format.
>
> you will get advice to use 'dd' to zero out sectors.
>
> you will find programs to do all sorts of security erasers.
>

> for all practical purposes of clearing up why you need 'llf',
>
> did you now have live-in girl friend and you want to be sure
> she does not find your pron? ;)
>
> your boss caught you with it on *his* computer?
>

> for practical purposes, girl friend included, using
> 'dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdn bs=65536'
> will removed any thing you need to worry about.
>

> for legal reasons, fbi, irs, boss, etc, log;
> http://www.linux-kurser.dk/secure_harddisk_eraser.html
> for a type of 'erase' programs available.
>
> there are many more, so you can look thru rest of 97k,
> or modify "low-level+formatter" to lessen.
>
> much fun to you. :)
>
> --
>
> peace out.
>
> tc,hago.

> .
>
> ****
> in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
> **
> help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
> **
> to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
> to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
> **
> learn linux:
> 'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
> 'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
> 'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
> 'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
> ****

Why I need to do low level formatting?
Disk monitor is reporting 93 uncorrectable sector errors.

Is that a good enough reason? :)

PS: If I had something on the disk to hide from prying eyes, I would resort
to a very simple solution: break open the drive (very easyli done), and
place the platters on the fire grill for about 60 minutes. Ask a physics professor. See what he has to say about it :)