Methods of setting Disk Partitions.

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 14:53:16 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 09:15 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Michael D. Setzer
> II<mikes at kuentos.guam.net>  wrote:
>
>> Is there a better way to setup the disk partitioning?
>> Usually, I've let the installation just create the partitions, and it has created
>> the small boot partition and then the LVM with the rest of the space. With
>> smaller disk this is OK, but with large disks the LVM partition is huge, so
>> doing image backups takes like 1 hour 30 minutes for a 250GB disk. I've
>> tried to adjust the size, but the best method I've come up with so far is this.
>>
>> Just installed a new X64 system with a 500GB disk, and ended up during the
>> install switching to screen 2, and using fdisk to create a 200MB /dev/sda1
>> and 40GB /dev/sda2 and then created a FAT32 partition /dev/sda3 with the
>> rest of the space. Then wrote the setup to disk. Then used fdisk to delete the
>> first two partitions. Then continued with the install, and told it to use free
>> space, and it installed just using space at the beginning. After finishing, I was
>> able to reformat the /dev/sda3 to ext4 as a test.
>>
>> This way I can quickly do an image of the boot and the LVM parition to be
>> able to restore the machine if needed.
>>
> You can customize the partitioning scheme during install. In your case
> I would do the following. Let Anaconda setup the default partition/LVM
> layout but check the box to allow you to customize it. Then leave the
> whole volume group partition but adjust the logical volume down to
> 40-50GB of whatever you want. If you start to run out of space later
> you can add extents to it. I'm not sure what backup method you're
> using but you may have to change it to backing up the logical volume
> instead of imaging the physical volume if that's what your doing.
>
> Richard

Fedora 11  customization set-up "sucks" for the last five computers I
have set-up
a ;

/boot
/
/home
swap

Partitions and it fails, every time, I have to shut-down install and
reboot with a Gparted disk and set-up the same partitions and then go
back to Fedora customize and "Edit" the partitions and Fedora accepts
them without any changes, except for the labelling.