Are you being heard?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Thu Aug 6 02:32:50 UTC 2009

> Found it.
> <http://hanswchen.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/plasma-desktop-icons-in-kde-42/>

> Toward the end of the blog post, how to get KDE4 desktop icons to mimic
KDE3 behavior.

Great! This works. Gee, how didn't I think of it, it's so evident. Right
under Appearance Settings... Desktop Activity!!! And the default was
"Desktop"! What does "Desktop Activity" have to do with showing or not the
Desktop folder in a Window and why should I have changed the Desktop
activity from "Desktop" ?

And that's after:

Jul 19 19:54:22 Updated: kdebase-workspace-libs-4.2.4-5.fc11.x86_64
Jul 19 19:54:27 Updated: kdebase-workspace-4.2.4-5.fc11.x86_64
Jul 29 14:19:09 Updated: 6:kdelibs-common-4.2.4-6.fc11.x86_64
Jul 29 14:19:16 Updated: kdelibs3-3.5.10-13.fc11.x86_64
Jul 29 14:19:21 Updated: 6:kdelibs-4.2.4-6.fc11.x86_64

God knows how this worked before.

Now, right away, comes the next question. How do I get rid of backup
files. Filtering *~ or ~ does not filter them out. Another research? How
many searches in the end?

To tell you the truth, for me, it's going to be too late anyways now to
get back to KDE. Not only Compiz doesn't work, even when I click on the
titre bar, it still maximises, minimises instead of shading. I'd have to
replace icons to start programs. In Firefox, the underlining of misspelled
words is almost invisible. With the default theme, Oxygen, the lines on
the title bar vanish as they get towards the right. It gives the
impression that it's because there's a focus problem to the right. Etc.

In other words, I'd have to reconfigure the whole thing before I can use
it and this takes time... and, for GNOME, it's done.

Who knows, maybe GNOME too will make the same kind of silly decisions and
ship out the product before it's ready. Switching back to KDE would then
make sense.

I insist. Before a software is released, tests should be made with auntie,
the kids at a nearby school, etc.

Of course, those are only my 2¢.

OTOH, KDE does seem a bit faster.