security updates causing firefox trouble?

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 21:12:55 UTC 2009

Stan responded

>You are trying to update firefox while it is running.  While this is
>theoretically possible, it is also possible that firefox has locked a
>component that the update process needs to access.  In other words, get
>out of firefox until the updates complete.

>If you leave firefox down and the process doesn't complete in a half
>hour, kill the update process.

>I use yum from command line.  Would then do,

[snip]
Stan, thanks for explanation, and that detailed list
of yum commands.  I will do them, if i cant get that
old process awakened.

[root at f10 ~]# yum info yum\*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 8024.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
  The other application is: PackageKit
    Memory : 102 M RSS (122 MB VSZ)
    Started: Wed Aug  5 13:19:19 2009 - 22:18:17 ago
    State  : Sleeping, pid: 8024

so, it is "Sleeping"
Any way to wake it up?
I had firefox off for 40min? no help, the process stayed
in its   sleeping state.
thanks
Jack