auto-updates

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Fri Aug 7 04:58:32 UTC 2009

On 08/04/2009 11:36 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 11:30 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> I just installed Fedora 11 on my new pc.  Shortly
>> thereafter I was presented with a pop-up box that
>> said 28 security updates were available.  I (foolishly
>> as it turned out) clicked the update button.  My
>> internet connection is a modem and the machine
>> has been downloading for about 20 hours now.
>> Clicking on the little updater icon in the Gnome
>> panel does not offer any information or control.
>>
>> So... how do I find out:
>> * What it is downloading?
>> * What is the total size of the downloads?
>> * How much is done, how much remains?
>> * How to pause it so I can get my email?
>> * How do I turn off auto-updates permanently?
>>    (In System->Prefs->Software Updates I had set
>>    "Check for updates" and "Check for major updates"
>>    to "Never" but it still seems to be checking.
>
> Not sure what all the answers to those questions are, but if you install
> yum-presto, it should cut down the size of the updates by quite a bit.

Thanks for that info, I had not known about yum-presto before.
I'll give it a try.

I take the lack of responses to my questions about the
software updater as being "no".  Am I the only one bothered
by this Microsoftification (no status info, no control,
no documentation, you users just sit back, be happy, and
we will manage your machine for you)?  I came to Linux to
get away from that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I eventually figured out that System -> Preferences
-> Startup Applications is the place to turn it (and some
other unneeded pseudo-services) off.