auto-updates

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Aug 7 16:02:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 11:47 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 04:21:59PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > 2009/8/7 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>:
> > > OK, I'll leave off the smiley: I cannot for the life of me imagine
> > > any train of logic that could lead to the overall design of
> > > packagekit without assuming they were deliberately attempting
> > > to make it as bad as they possibly could.
> >
> > Ha!
> >
> > > And, in fact, they may have been. There seems to be a large and
> > > dangerous group of developers out there who base their
> > > designs on some imaginary "average user" they seem to think has
> > > an IQ of about 4. This is a lot like the Hollywood executives
> > > churning out formula movies for their imaginary IQ 4 viewers.
> >
> > No, Susan, Bevan and Graham are real people, friends and family.
>
> Something worth remembering before we insult people who are building
> the things we're all able to use (or choose not to) for free.
>
> A note on the supposedly useless interface -- my question is, why do
> people care so much about a progress bar anyway?  When I get an update
> alert, I right-click, tell the system to install updates, and go about
> my work.  I don't care what the download speed is, since there are
> usually things I care about more like the activity I'm busy with
> already.  When the updates are done, if it's important I'll get a
> notifier about restarting my session or the system.
----
I think it is important to say this in response to your above comments
because of your status with Fedora Project...

There may be different opinions about what is the desired behavior but
that is why we have bugzilla and if you feel the behavior doesn't match
with your expectations, the proper thing is to file an RFE in bugzilla.
It may also be useful to post the bugzilla # to the list and ask others
to sound off if they have feelings on the behavior so they can add their
comments.

I think that those who use this list merely to whine and/or berate the
developers who are making user interface decisions, likely with specific
intentions, are of little to no value to Fedora and should just be
ignored.

Craig

believed to be clean.