Files dragged onto desktop don't show up

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 8 07:31:51 UTC 2009

I just noticed that when I drag a file out of a Nautilus window and put it on
my desktop, the icon disappears.  If I then click on Desktop in my Nautilus
window, the icon shows up on my desktop.

This is using Fedora 11/Gnome.  Does anyone else see this behaviour?

I'm sure this didn't happen a little while back.   When sorting out files using
Nautilus I am in the habit of putting them on my desktop temporarily and the
icons always used to appear immediately, exactly where I set them down.  The
icons still appear exactly where I set them down, but I have to go to Desktop
with Nautilus first.