TightVNC Server

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Aug 8 12:21:47 UTC 2009

On 8 Aug 2009 at 13:53, Philip Seeger wrote:

From:	"Philip Seeger" <philip at philip-seeger.de>
To:	<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date sent:	Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:53:06 +0200
Subject:	TightVNC Server
Send reply to:	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

>     Hello,
>
>     I’m having trouble installing TightVNC on my Fedora 11.
>     Apparently, I managed to install the server software, because I can connect to the
>     machine using any VNC Client on a Windows system.
>     But instead of the Fedora screen (with all opened windows and so on) I only see a bash
>     console on a gray background.

You probable need to look at the xstartup file in the .vnc (period vnc)
directory in the users home directory. The file has a statement that you need
to uncomment two lines to get the normal screen? Don't know why that isn't
the default.

The Fedora has changed to another vnc program that can be loaded by yum
install vncserver, and that is what I  setup on my Fedora 11 systems.

>     What do I have to do to see a copy of the screen (as I would see it if I’d connect a
>     monitor to the Fedora machine)?
>
>     Please make it easy, I’m new to Linux… :D
>
>     Thanks for any help…

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 8,314,905.8355 | EINSTEIN 2,806,514.5109 | ROSETTA
1,087,077.1721