HPLIP 3.9.8...

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat Aug 8 15:37:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 16:04 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 08 August 2009 15:36:56 Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > I noticed that the current available version on the F11 repos for HPLIP
> > is 3.9.2, but the most current version available from HP is version
> > 3.9.8.
> >
> > A friend of mine installed this version on his F11 x86_64 system and
> > found that it works much MUCH better.
> >
> > So... When will we see 3.9.8 hit the repositories?
> >
> Sounds like a subjective statement to me :-)  Did your friend say exactly what
> works better?
>
> I've been using hplip for 2 years.  IMO the only thing that has changed is
> that later versions have drivers for later devices.  If your device is
> supported with the version you have got, you have no need to change.

Actually, I've been using hplip since it first came out with Fedora.
I've used Fedora and its predecessors since the old RHL 4.X series. I
have an OfficeJet 6210xi all-in-one myself. Not the newest of printers
to be sure.

I just upgraded to 3.9.8 and saw an immediate improvement in printer
speed and responsiveness. Print quality is about the same. I haven't
tested it yet, but with 3.9.2, I found that if I used the scanner, I
would have to turn the printer off and then back on again before it
would print. I'll post to fedora-test-list with results when I get a
chance to test that.

My friend has a newer OfficeJet J4680 series WiFi printer. He said he
saw the same improvements in terms of printer speed and performance, but
he also said that (qualitatively) the print quality improved as well.
Since we don't have a ruler to measure that against, we have to leave
that as a subjective assessment.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”

--Mark Twain