A couple of strange problems on F11

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 22:29:45 UTC 2009

I've noticed a couple of strange issues with F11.

1) If I reboot my system and login as a regular user none of the USB devices
that are plugged into the system show up on the desktop.  If I manually
mount them then logout and login again then they show up.  If I double click
on the computer icon on the desktop the devices are there they just never
automount after boot.

2) My parents have satellite based internet access at our property in
northern California.  I have never been able to connect to that wireless on
F11.  My wireless works since I can connect to the wireless at my parent's
home and at other locations.  I see lots of dhcp discover messages in
/var/log/messages, but no dhcp offer messages.  When I run wireshark I see
no packets being sent or erceived until the client gives up in which case I
do the see several messages showing up on the wireshark trace.

I have all the latest updates and am running a 3945 wireless adapter.

Anybody seen anything similar and know what's needed to fix this?

Note that if I boot up on Windows then I can attach to the wireless without
problems so it appears to be F11 related.

Thanks
Paolo