f10 gdm user hide

Soruk soruk at eridani.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 05:38:30 UTC 2009

jask wrote:

> While this is the hard way to hide accounts, it does work to hide accounts
> that have uids > 500.  If you can just change the uid to something between
> 100 and 500 you can avoid all of this.
>
> This is absolutely a hack so you'll have to repeat some of it each time
> gdm is updated.  You should probably read through this whole post and make
> sure you want to go through this much effort before you start.
>
> [much snippage]
>
> Create and edit ~/rpm/SOURCES/gdm-2.24.1-hide-user.patch using this text
> as a template:
> 	--- gdm-2.24.1-orig/gui/simple-greeter/gdm-user-manager.c 2009-04-08
> 17:39:32.000000000 -0500 +++
> gdm-2.24.1/gui/simple-greeter/gdm-user-manager.c 2009-04-08
> 17:40:21.000000000 -0500 @@ -95,6 +95,7 @@
> "rpm",                                            "nfsnobody",
> "pcap",        +                                  "hideuser",
> NULL }    struct GdmUserManagerPrivate
>
> Replace "hideuser" with the user name you want to hide.  If you want to
> hide multiple users, do two things... add more lines like the one for
> "hideuser" and 2nd, edit the string @@ -95,6 +95,7 @@ and add one to the 7
> for each extra user.  So if you hide 4 users, that line would look like:
> 	@@ -95,6 +95,10 @@
>
> EVERYTHING FROM HERE DOWN WILL NEED TO BE DONE EACH TIME YOU UPDATE GDM
> AND YOUR HIDDEN USER ACCOUNTS RE-APPEAR AT LOGIN.

Since this was driving me quietly insane on F11, I put together the
following patch that, if it's present, reads GDMCONFDIR/excluded, and
excludes any users listed in there.

Nabble is likely to mangle it if I paste it in, so I've put the patch up at
http://www.eridani.co.uk/gdmfix/gdm-2.26.1-excludes.patch - this is against
the latest update for F11.

It probably doesn't conform to the GDM coding style, and is quite an ugly
hack, but it works for me.

-- Michael