Problems getting bind working on F11

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sun Aug 9 05:44:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 21:35 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 20:33:20 -0400
> Braden McDaniel wrote:
>
> >         [root at front etc]# ssh front
> >         ssh: Could not resolve hostname front: Name or service not known
> >         [root at front etc]# hostname
> >         front.endoframe.net
> >         [root at front etc]#
>
> Just in the "check the simple stuff first" category:
>
> Is /etc/resolv.conf pointing at 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver?

No, it's pointing to the machine's IP address on the local network
(192.168.1.20).  I wouldn't expect that to make a difference.

> And does resolv.conf say the domain (or search) is endoframe.net?

It does not; but "front.endoframe.net" doesn't resolve, either.

> I did get my chroot dns setup from f10 working on f11, but
> I've got selinux disabled to avoid that problem and I have
> dnssec and dlv disabled as well. I also discovered I have
> to:
>
> touch /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>
> before starting the service the first time after editing
> /etc/sysconfig/dnssec so the startup scripts think
> named.conf is up to date and don't try to "helpfully"
> fix it.

I haven't disabled DNSSEC; I'm trying to use bind as its F11 packagers
intended, thinking that would be easiest with a fresh install.  But
clearly that's not exactly working out for me.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>