can't boot fresh install

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 9 12:10:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 02:35 -0700, Alan Evans wrote:
> Are we really at a stopping point until I have one? I'm desperate
> enough that I toyed with the idea of allowing fdisk to clear the
> partition table then rerun the installer and interrupt it just after
> it writes the default partitions to disk (on the assumption that they
> would be the same as the table I *should* have now). I'm still too
> cowardly to try it.

If you're prepared to lose everything on your disc, then you can try any
experiment you want to.

The installer doesn't have to change partitions on a disc, you can
simply pick which pre-set up partitions should be mounted as /
and /boot, plus any others that you want.  So, you can partition the
drive using any other partitioning program that you want.

I do something like that.  I boot the installer disc, let it get to the
stage where I have a command line somewhere (CTRL+ALT+ one of the
function keys, until I find a shell), use fdisk to partition my drive in
the manner that I want, with the labels that I want, etc.  CTRL+ALT+ the
F key that takes me back to the install screen, then proceed through to
the manual partitioning screen.  I *pick* the partitions, and uncheck
any format this partition options.  (That also allows me to clean
install a new OS, but keep data stored in some partitions, such
as /home.)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686