TightVNC Server

Philip Seeger philip at philip-seeger.de
Sun Aug 9 18:39:01 UTC 2009

OK, I found out what I did wrong. I started the vncserver as root, so my xstartup file is located in /root/.vnc.

But my xstartup differs from yours.
I don't have these lines:

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

When I try to add those lines, the vncserver won't even start up.

So I started a vnc session with the standard xstartup (bash on gray background) and entered this:
startkde &

The gray background color changed to the KDE blue and the Fedora startup animation appeared.
But after some minutes, the animation disappeared and the console said this:
Dry Run Mode: running im without imsettings
Startkde: starting up...

At this point the program freezes (I can cancel it by pressing Ctrl + C).

It's the same thing when I add "startkde &" to my xstartup file...

What's wrong here?

Thanks for your help!