windows XP deleted bootloader,need to reinstall it

devesh gade deveshgade152003 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:35:56 UTC 2009

hello...sorry for being late....
anyways,the output  of the fdisk -l command is as folows:

                  Boot      Start     End        Id            System
/dev/sda1       *         ....           ....        ...
HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2                  ...         ...          ...               Linux
/dev/sda3                 .....         ....         ....             Linux
LVM
/dev/sda4                 ....         ....         .....             W95
Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5                 ...          ...             ...
HPFS/NTFS

Once the system mounted on /mnt/sysimage ,I performed the following steps:
On running the 'grub-install /dev/sda1' comand, the output is
Unrecognized command /sbin/grub
On running 'whereis grub-install' i get output as
grub-install:/usr/sbin/grub-install

Then i use this path to run the command,however it gives same output as in
the first case.
Please corect me if i have gone wrong anywhere above.
So the question remains-how do i install the grub??

On 07/08/2009, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 00:44 +0530, devesh gade wrote:
> > Inserted installation cd in rescue mode and then following commands at
> > the prompt:
> > 1 grub
> > 2 root (hd0,0)
> > 3 setup (hd0)
> > 4 exit
> > 5 reboot
> >
> > However even after rebooting the grub screen does not show up at
> > startup and Windows XP boots by default.
>
> Obvious questions:
>
> Is hd0,0 the right drive and partition to work on?
> Do you have more than one drive?
>
> Running "fdisk -l" can list all the available drives and partitions, you
> could post the output, here.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.
>

> --

Tough times dont last,Tough People Do.