FC11 , Deleting Dragon-Player

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 11 01:50:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:47 -0400, Jim wrote:
> In thunderbird Pref. I changed in Attachments to use VLC to play mpeg,
> wmv files. But when I click on a attached wmv file VLC won't play
> them. I have to "save As" ,then play them from my home with VLC .

That sounds like you're dealing with attached files which aren't
properly identified.

When emails are properly created, the client mail program will put
headers with the attachments that say what type of file has been
attached (e.g. video/mpeg), and the receiving mail client will use that
information to pass the file onto the right program when you try to open
it (*your* computer's configuration will determine what's *your* program
to handle that type of file).

When emails are badly created, the mail client doesn't identify the
contents its attaching, either giving a generic binary/octet-stream
description, or even a wrong one (e.g. text/plain).  The mail client
receiving such bad messages will either have to guess at what to do, or
simply leave you to save the file and deal with it yourself.

Have a look at the message source, and see what headers are there just
above the attachment section.  I've placed an example of an attachment
header, below.  It's the content-type header that describes it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.