naive live USB question

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:42:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 09:23:00AM -0700, David L wrote:
> I recently took a f11 live USB stick and used it to install
> f11 on a second USB stick (my hard drive crashed and I
> decided to temporarily just use a USB stick for a hard
> drive... that worked amazingly well by the way, but I
> digress).  I was wondering why the live USB creation process
> can't just create the result of this process... ie, make
> the stick look like a normal disk instead of the "persistent
> overlay" thing?

Not a naive question, but I guess the answer is, you don't need the
Live USB creation process to do that -- you can just install to a USB
key using the standard installer.  The Live USB process grew out of
the Live CD case, because it's a way to use one image in two different
types of media.  If you want a bootable stick that's simply a piece of
media like a hard disk, you can do that with Anaconda at any time,
booting either your system or a VM guest with boot or installation
media, and then installing to the USB key.