No sound with Mplayer and (certain live) streaming video

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:48:45 UTC 2009

Hello Jack,

jack craig wrote:
> two problems seem common, the sound volume controls are set to zero and
> the glitch free code was failing due an alsa bug.
>
> as the first is easier, i have a fix for the second. have you tried
> looking at the master sound controls to verify the audio levels are raised?

Sound for me is working just fine in general. I can listen to music and
watch movies using rhythmbox, quod-libet (btw this app is awesome I
don't use it often only because it lacks support for the play/pause
buttons on multimedia keyboards), mplayer, vlc, totem ... I could go on.

I get no sound *only* when I am watching streams from www.wrc.com. So I
think this has something to do with the gecko-mediaplayer/mplayer
support for certain codecs.

Thanks for the reply though.

--
Suvayu