quotas on nfs share

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Aug 13 01:08:33 UTC 2009

Aldo Foot writes:

> You're correct. All quota setup is done at the server. That's what
> I've done. Quotas
> are working in the server.

If they're working on the server, the server should then enforce the quota,
whether the files are accessed directly from the server, or from the client.

> Even though I mount with the usrquota option, the client does not see a
> filesystem with quotas.
>
> client> edquota jdoe
> No filesystems with quota detected.
>
> client> quotacheck -cugm /mnt/p1
> quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted
> with quota option.
>
> I'd really love to solve this one. According to me eSearch, just about
> everyone who ever tried to solve this problem, went out without an answer.

Why don't you try to blow through the user's quota, from the client. I
suspect that you'll run into a brick wall, when the user's quota is used up.

The issue is probably not that the quota doesn't work, but just that the
client does not report the quota on the server.