Conversion of ext4 to ext3 file system ?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:26:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 22:23 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:
[...]
> I am not that technically proficient. The ext4 is for Ubuntu 9.04;
> Fedora 10 has ext3 and used to give console error messages about being
> unable to umount the ext4 partitions during shutdown. I had to do a
> reset as the PC stalled at that point.

Not sure if I understand what you're saying here. Note that F10 also has
ext4.

Umount failures are normally due to some process having a file open on
the mounted system, or having its current directory there. When this
happens, you can use "fuser -m <filesystem>" to identify it. See
fuser(1).

> Presently, I have added the 'noauto' option to Fedora 10's fstab file
> so that the ext4 partitions are not mounted. This stopped the error
> messages and enabled proper shutdown.

What happens if you manually mount the partition and then do a shutdown?

poc