system-config-printer not authenticating properly

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:15:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Hooker,
Jonathan<Jonathan.Hooker at garmin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to get system-config-printer to authenticate as a sudo user (one
> that is a part of the wheel group) instead of the root user when trying to
> add or modify a printer in fedora 10. I have been unsuccessful in finding
> any help on this topic anywhere on the internet. In previous versions the
> authentication used was consolehelper but this does not seem to be the case
> in FC10. It also seems that it does not use PolicyKit either which other
> system-config type programs are now doing. Does anyone have any suggestions
> as to how I can go about making this change?
________

I'll speak from memory here.

I believe in /etc/security/console.apps  or somewhere in /etc/pam.d
there should be a system-config-printers pam config file. There should
be lines in there that enforce su/sudo for applications that have a
pam config file in one of the aforementioned directories.
If you don't have the file, then just copy one other and name it
system-config-printers; the file name is important, for it has to
match the name of the system-config-* executable.

HTH,
~af