nm/nm-applet - how to stop automatic connections

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Aug 14 00:18:35 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:34:44AM -0400, Mail Llists wrote:
>>
>>   If I have connected once to a wifi network - and that was an auto
>> found connection - I can edit it and choose to not connect automatically.
>>
>>   For a an auto found connection which I cannot and/or dont want to ever
>> connect to automatically - i cannot unelect 'connect automatically' and
>> save. The save/apply button is grayed out - and presumably will remain
>> so until I have connected.
>>
>>   But I cannot and dont want to connect - and I dont want to keep
>> getting prompted for passhprase - its a rogue connection.
>>
>>    How do I stop nn/nm-applet from doing this ?
>>
>>    In fact I would like the default behaviour (for security if nothing
>> else) to NEVER connect automatically to anything unless I tell it to -
>> how can I do that ?
>>
>>  thanks.
>
> I believe you can remove the "Auto" from the beginning of the
> connection's name to prevent this behavior.  That stops NetworkManager
> from trying to automatically connect to that network in the future.
> If you don't ever want to connect automatically to anything, you're
> clearly outside of NetworkManager's use case and might want to
> consider having NM not manage that interface, which you can do by
> using system-config-network and turning off NM management on a
> particular interface, or by setting "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.ifcfg-<INTERFACE>.

Gee, on mine, I...

	Right-click on the NM icon in the toolbar
	Click on "Edit Connections"
	Click on the appropriate tab (Wireless, etc.)
	Click on a network, then click "Edit"

In that edit window, there's a little checkbox marked "Connect
automatically".  Just uncheck it and click "Apply".

Works for me.
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -