crashy desktop effects

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Aug 14 02:12:51 UTC 2009

I have F11 x86_64.

When I enable desktop effects : System/Preference/Desktop Effects

...I seem to get a lot of X crashes (logs me out) -- particularly if I
am using brasero or other to burn a CD / DVD.

Disabling Desktop Effects claims they are disabled, but the translucent
and menu effects are still present. I think this means some new GUI was
enabled and never disabled, even though I requested it to be disabled.

As nice as it looks, there are a lot of bug reports for ATI users--the
black screen issue and my log out issue--and I would like to take X back
to the point where no desktop effects are enabled.

How to do this?

Thanks,
John