Internal laptop Microphone with very low gain - HDA-Intel SigmaTel STAC9228

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 14 12:01:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 01:41 +1000, Vini Engel wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to resolve the issues
> that exist with the sound card below and the low gain of the internal
> microphone of the laptop. The mic works and so does the external one
> when plugged, the problem is that the volume of everything captured by
> the internal mic extremely low and almost impossible to hear
> sometimes.

Are their hidden mixer options which include a "mic boost"?  It
increases the gain of the input amplifier.  You may need it off to
record really loud sounds (where turning the level down doesn't stop the
pre-amp from clipping ahead of the level control), or you may need it on
to increase the gain.  It's an option that's often needed.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.