Testing upload/download bandwidth speeds for verification

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:33:01 UTC 2009

Hi Daniel,

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Of the several sites I have tried, they all more or less
> seemed to be in close agreement with one another in
> terms of the bandwidth speeds, i.e. my connection
> speed is quoted at 768KB/s up and 3MB/s down,
> and the farther away from central, the more reduced
> is the speeds are.
>
> The average speed tools says that I have measured
> speeds of 720-30 KB/s up and 2.0-5MB/s down.
>
> Why is it however, that when downloading software
> from the various Linux/M$ and other downloads sites
> I am seeing on average, speeds of 200-320(max) KB/s
> and never see anything much faster than that?
>
> Is this normal?

Pardon me if this seems rather dumb or has been addressed by another
post in the thread (I haven't gone through the whole thread), but are
the speeds for your ISP KBps/MBps or Kbps/Mbps? Note the
capitalized/small `B's.

If the speeds are in Kbps/Mbps, then what you get is normal. KBps/MBps
would be Kilobytes/Megabytes whereas Kb/Mb would be Kilobits/Megabits.
It is common practice to quote bandwidth speeds in bits rather than
bytes. To convert between the two just divide by 8,
i.e. 2Mbps / 8 = 256KBps

--
Suvayu