Testing upload/download bandwidth speeds for verification

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 15 03:12:36 UTC 2009

On 08/14/2009 08:29 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I have been testing my residential ISP/DSL-Landline
> connections and wanted to make sure that I was getting
> what I am paying for. Supposedly, one can use the various
> website based "speed test" tools to determine their upload
> and download speeds.

[snip]

> Other than by using `speed testers', I have yet to find a download
> site that pushes out more than 2-300KB/s?
>
> I have tried HTTP, FTP & Bittorent and there is very little or no
> speed improvements as far as I can tell.
>
> Just wondering,
> Dan

Just a little aside ...

If you're looking for a site that can saturate your connection, try
<newshosting.com> as a usenet provider. They seem to be able to push as
much bandwidth as you can take. They max out my 12 Mbit cable with a
single connection, and they allow 20 connections per client. Of course,
they aren't free.

Regards

John