Internal laptop Microphone with very low gain - HDA-Intel SigmaTel STAC9228

Vini Engel vini at fugspbr.org
Sat Aug 15 11:42:00 UTC 2009

Tim said the following on 08/14/2009 10:01 PM:
> On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 01:41 +1000, Vini Engel wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to resolve the issues
>> that exist with the sound card below and the low gain of the internal
>> microphone of the laptop. The mic works and so does the external one
>> when plugged, the problem is that the volume of everything captured by
>> the internal mic extremely low and almost impossible to hear
>> sometimes.
>
> Are their hidden mixer options which include a "mic boost"?  It
> increases the gain of the input amplifier.  You may need it off to
> record really loud sounds (where turning the level down doesn't stop the
> pre-amp from clipping ahead of the level control), or you may need it on
> to increase the gain.  It's an option that's often needed.

I can remember that most windows machines have it. I haven't seen this
option on a linux machine for a while. I do agree with you I need that
option to make my mic work well but that option is no where to be found.

I found something for alsa which creates a pseudo booster, it kind of
works but puts a lot of noisy in the sounds and not all applications can
see it.

Do you or does anyone know hot to enable to mic boot option?

Thanks
Vini