Local cache / 'repo' of updates and added RPM's

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 08:02:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Saturday 15 August 2009 12:35 PM, Jay Mistry wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno at wolff.to>  wrote:

>>> e.g.

>>> Sure. Just put the rpms of interest in a directory, run createrepo on the
>>> directory and set up an appropriate repo description in
>>> /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo for some value of *.
>>>
>>> For myself I usually mirror the relevant arch parts of updates and
>>> updates-testing and only put a few special things in a local repo.
>>>

>> As an extension of this: is it possible to upgrade a Fedora 10 install to
>> Fedora 11, by using the Fedora 11 DVD as a local repository ? This would
>> save me (and also lot of other people who do not have fast Internet
>> connections and/or with time-capped Internet subscriptions), a lot of
>> bandwidth and time (and $$).
>>

> This thread might be useful for creating a local repo
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-June/thread.html#01934

Thanks for pointing it out. I will try out the instructions there and also
at these 2 links later on in the week,

http://www.labtestproject.com/using_linux/setup_to_install_software_package_from_fedora_10_dvd
http://www.labtestproject.com/using_linux/install_software_from_fedora_installation_dvd

Jay