HDA Intel sound card problem

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Aug 16 15:02:02 UTC 2009

Hi;

I would make two suggestions then I will drop unnecessary comments.

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 15:57 +0200, dariusz rojewski wrote:
> 2009/8/16 William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>
>         Hi Darekr;
>
>         Be warned, I am usually reluctant to post technical responses
>         on this
>         list because I am new at it.  However ...

> i tried to play via mplayer and i don't hear anything :) hmm.. but i
> noticed it plays with headphones. Uhhm.. :] it works under other
> distributions, so the solution must exist... :) thx

1) Make sure that the "PCM" slider in alsamixer or one of its gui's
(Advance volume, Gmixer etc.) is 100% open.

2) Ubuntu users seem to be having the same kind of problems.  Google for
your problem but use Ubuntu as a key word.  Check to see if your problem
exists with them.  If it does, it is probably an upstream broken driver
and needs a Bug report or additional comment on an existing bug.

I have removed PulseAudio as well.  I have spent a couple of weeks
(months?) on this and have not yet solved it.  I have learned that
PulsAudio is unlikely the culprit.  By removing PulseAudio, posting on
the Alsa mailing list and reading all the Fedora ALSA bug reports (and
there are a lot of them) I have become convinced that the solution lies
somewhere between a Sound_Driver => ALSA.  Once ALSA is working,
PulseAudio will work.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3