HDA Intel sound card problem

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 15:10:28 UTC 2009

<drojewski at gmail.com>wrote:

> >>  But I don't use pulseaudio server (to use pavucontrol pulseaudio daemon
> >> must be turned on (yeah?)).
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Did you remove packages yourself, such the ones for pulse support?
> > Maybe this is your problem ...
>
> Hm. I tried to solve my problem with pulseaudio - no results. Google said
> to remove pulseaudio, so i did it. :) (maybe due to some confiltcs between
> alsa and pulseaudio). I don't know. I hope it will be easier to solve it
> with alsa, i've never used pulseaudio longer than 20 minutes:) thx.

There's a great deal of mis-information about PA, including what you have been
told here.  Anyway, that apart, you could try fixing it in alsa.  In a
terminal, type 'alsamixer'.  You should see all the channels that are
available to you.  Navigate with arrow keys, and look out for muted channels.
Muting is toggled with 'M'.

If alsamixer shows PulseAudio and a single channel, then you have half-
uninstalled PA, which is very likely the cause of your problems.

Anne