Using Bugzilla ??

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 15:20:26 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 15:33:42 William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I think these are questions that regular Bugzilla users can answer.
> They don't seem to be answered in RH/Fedora Bugzilla Help, F11 release
> notes and wiki or elsewhere that I can see.
>
> 1) I have registered with RH/Fedora Bugzilla and have an account.  I
> file about 2-4 bugs per Fedora version. Yet when I open Bugzilla and get
> the Home or Search page, the 'New' link just keeps returning me to (or
> refreshing) the 'Search' page instead of going to a new report.

Perfectly reasonable in that it tries to stop the creation of dozens of
identical bug reports.

> I have an URL from a couple of years ago that I use for a new report
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora but if I start
> there, I dare not click a link to 'Home' or 'Search' or 'Browse' because
> I can't get back to the Report page without closing down and re-using
> the above URL.

If you have previously searched and know that the bug does not already exist
you can simply carry on, using the wizard to create the report.  I don't have
bugzilla open in front of me, but I've used it today, doing the search first,
then starting the bug report.

> To get to the 'Search' page on purpose I use
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?classification=Fedora , if
> that makes a difference.
>
> Have I set something up incorrectly or missed something in my account
> registration so that the 'New' link doesn't work?

Probably not, except that you didn't notice that by scrolling down a little
you can carry on with the report.

> 2) While loading the 'Search' page is almost instantaneous, loading a
> 'New' report page seems to take forever. ( at least 30 sec, often much
> more)

I think the server is heavily used.  We seem to spend a lot of time 'Waiting
for.....' :-) - just in the queue, I guess.

> 3) How do I get my *original bug report* sent to me so I can keep a bug
> thread going from the original filing through all responses?  I am sure
> this is just some personal configuration or check box I have missed.

That's the default, surely?  I always get a copy of mine and of all answers in
the bug report.

> 4) How can I cancel or remove a Bug report?  For example, how can I
> remove a late night bug report, to which the answer becomes abundantly
> obvious in the clear light of morning, after a night's sleep.  Or, are
> such stupidities permanently recorded for all to see.

Just go back to the report and confess :-)  I *think* you can mark it closed
yourself.  Otherwise, the triager will.

> 5) In repo, there is a Bugzilla program.  Is this program for
> maintainers and developers or would it be useful to a casual user like
> me?

I wouldn't have thought so.  I would guess that it's intended for development
work, tracking bugs there.  But that's sheer guesswork.

> 6) Somewhere in the Fedora documents, discussing a bug on IRC or the
> fedora-test-list mailing list is suggested.  Are these mainly for
> maintainers and developers or are they recommend sites for users too?

Some are specifically for developers, but many willingly talk to users.  You
could try #fedora or #fedora-kde.

Anne