HDA Intel sound card problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 16 16:27:33 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009, William Case wrote:
>Hi;
>
>I would make two suggestions then I will drop unnecessary comments.
>
>On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 15:57 +0200, dariusz rojewski wrote:
>> 2009/8/16 William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>
>>         Hi Darekr;
>>
>>         Be warned, I am usually reluctant to post technical responses
>>         on this
>>         list because I am new at it.  However ...
>>

>> i tried to play via mplayer and i don't hear anything :) hmm.. but i
>> noticed it plays with headphones. Uhhm.. :] it works under other
>> distributions, so the solution must exist... :) thx
>
>1) Make sure that the "PCM" slider in alsamixer or one of its gui's
>(Advance volume, Gmixer etc.) is 100% open.
>
>2) Ubuntu users seem to be having the same kind of problems.  Google for
>your problem but use Ubuntu as a key word.  Check to see if your problem
>exists with them.  If it does, it is probably an upstream broken driver
>and needs a Bug report or additional comment on an existing bug.
>
>I have removed PulseAudio as well.  I have spent a couple of weeks
>(months?) on this and have not yet solved it.  I have learned that
>PulsAudio is unlikely the culprit.  By removing PulseAudio, posting on
>the Alsa mailing list and reading all the Fedora ALSA bug reports (and
>there are a lot of them) I have become convinced that the solution lies
>somewhere between a Sound_Driver => ALSA.  Once ALSA is working,
>PulseAudio will work.
>
>--
>Regards Bill
>Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3
>Evo.2.26.3, Emacs 23.1.1

I doubt that for those of us who have more than one sound facility in our
hardware.  Alsa works fine, with PA disabled/nuked.

It (PA) might well work, _IF_ PA paid any attention to the assignments I made
long ago in my modprobe.conf that make alsa work flawlessly.  But it doesn't.
Until it honors those assignments, it will continue to be disabled on this
system.  I can, in pavucontrol, select the emu10k1 stuff, but the audio
doesn't get there unless you count the sideband splatter 80 db down.

With it disabled, here is my /proc/asound/cards:

 0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
                      SB Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0, serial:0x10011102) at
0x9c00, irq 17
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfddfc000 irq 16
 2 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 20

Plz note that the index=1 entry above is not even bonded out on my video card,
an ATI HD2400 Pro.  Also note that the 1 and 2 (index numbers) above appear to
be identical, and no one seems to know how I could forcibly switch them and
actually make the ASUS motherboards audio available for use.  I do have
another amp/speaker set I could plug into the mobo, if it was usable, or maybe
use it for an internet telephone?

Thanks for letting me butt in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It would be nice to be sure of anything the way some people are of everything.