HDA Intel sound card problem

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:03:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 05:15:43 -0300
> Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > The default alsa drivers version in f11 is 1.0.18.  The current
> > > version is 1.0.20 and there are lots of intel-hda fixes in the
> > > update.  The reason f11 is running the old version is because the
> > > kernel it is using doesn't support the new drivers.
> >

> > What do you mean by that? I have been using driver 1.0.20
> > since I installed F11, a long time ago. There is nothing in kernel
> > 2.6.29 that precludes its installation.
> >

> When I run the alsa-info.sh script, this is the output I get.
>
> !!Kernel Information
> !!------------------
>
> Kernel release:    2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64
> Operating System:  GNU/Linux
> Architecture:      x86_64
> Processor:         x86_64
> SMP Enabled:       Yes
>

> !!ALSA Version
> !!------------
>
> Driver version:     1.0.18a
> Library version:    1.0.20
> Utilities version:  1.0.20
>

> There is no package for the drivers pulled up in an rpm query.  I
> assumed that the reason they didn't have the 1.0.20 drivers installed
> was an incompatibility with the kernel for some hardware.  I can't think
> of another reason they wouldn't be using the latest stable version.
> They obviously know about it since they have the library and utilities
> installed.

Thee driver is a bunch of kernel modules, which are part of the kernel.

Unfortunately, the only time Fedora upgraded the driver
in a kernel, they used the 1.0.18, the buggiest
alsa driver ever. Therefore, they will not do it again. They
will use whatever version comes in the kernel.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ