Firefox

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 23:31:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 22:40 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 17:31 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> In Fedora 11 x86_64, firefox (3.5.2) makes tons of swapping !!!!
> >>
> >>   r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id
> >> wa st
> >>   3  1 396640 205012   4076 295856    7    6    81    37    6   58 10  2 87
> >
> > This is meaningless without further explanation. I for one can't even
> > tell what command you used to generate it. If you want people to comment
> > you should explain what's going on (e.g. what are you *doing* with
> > Firefox and how much memory does your machine have?)
> >
> OK,
>
> I guess that I could give more relevant information if I can get a way
> to send you the output of htop !

You don't need htop to say what pages FF has open, whether any of them
use Flash or Java, what extensions (add-ons) are active, or how much
physical memory your machine has. In fact the first few lines of 'top'
would give some useful info, e.g. first with FF running and then after
FF quits, keeping everything else the same, using:

$ top|head > file

poc