Script for vesa & nouveau & nvidia drivers ??

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Aug 20 15:22:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:59:40 -0400
William Case wrote:

> If you have any guidance or gotcha's that are worth mentioning before I
> write such a script, your wisdom would be appreciated.

If you are using the rpmfusion nvidia driver, it is quite
difficult to turn off without uninstalling it. It installs
the "nvidia" service that runs at init time to
force xorg.conf point at the nvidia driver.

If you just want to make sure you have an nvidia driver
that matches your kernel, I never had a problem with
installing akmod-nvidia. All it does is build the driver
rpm and install it if it isn't already installed.

For me it always worked fine. If the rpmfusion repos were
up to date, I'd get the kmod-nvidia from the repo when
I updated, if they weren't up to date, I'd take longer
to boot and I'd get the rpm the akmod built for me.