SOT: Linux install on a P-II, need text games

Deboo ^ knowledgeful at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:51:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 09:22:51 -0700,
>  suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I thought he was talking about RAM. AFAIR we already had disks of the
>> order of a few gigs in P-II days. The following blog post might be of
>> interest to the OP if disk space is the problem.
>
> I did too. You can't install Fedora on a machine with 32 MB of ram using
> the normal process. (I don't know of any process that will do this for
> current Fedora's, though the rule project did have a way to do it for some
> old Fedora versions.)
>
> The minimum for F11 is 128 MB for text mode. I don't know if you can get
> by with less if you get by installation.

Well actually, some machines have 32 MB, others vary from 64 to 256 MB.

I have a copy of FC2 CDs lying around, would that install with that much RAM?

What other distros would you suggest for the games as well as for this
amount of RAM?

Hard disk is not an issue but I do have some machines without a hard
disk. I'd like to use Linux on them too, tho knoppix etc won't be
possible to use on these. Some thin Linux distro?

Regards,
Deboo