SOT: Linux install on a P-II, need text games

Deboo ^ knowledgeful at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 21:26:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Jussi
Lehtola<jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 02:21 +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
>> > The minimum for F11 is 128 MB for text mode. I don't know if you can get
>> > by with less if you get by installation.
>>
>> Well actually, some machines have 32 MB, others vary from 64 to 256 MB.
>>
>> I have a copy of FC2 CDs lying around, would that install with that much RAM?
>
> I wouldn't recommend using such an old distro.
>
>> What other distros would you suggest for the games as well as for this
>> amount of RAM?
>
> Personally, I'd use Debian. The minimal install is very light and apt is
> fast also on low-end hardware (yum is slowly getting there, but is still
> way back). AFAIK there's a CD install available of the whole package
> collection, too.

Can you tell if the Debian ISOs have the bsd and console games on them
since I can not do a netinstall on the P-IIs?

How many CDs would I need to download? There's a huge number of CDs
for Debian. I don't want to download a DVD just for a thin install.

I need to also do coding so the compilers etc also needed.