GNOME startup, -before- desktop

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 21 05:51:37 UTC 2009

Jud Craft wrote:
> It automatically mounts a drive that contains my Desktop directory.
> Hence, I need it to work before nautilus does.
>
> It specifically is a per-user mount, so I can't have it globally
> automount at computer startup.

Have you considered using autofs for this?  The automount will only
happen when directory is accessed.

So, something like this should work....

In auto.master

/misc       /etc/auto.misc

In /etc/auto.misc

Desktop     -fstype=auto      :/dev/sdc2  (or whatever you need)

And in your home directory make Desktop a symbolic link to /misc/Desktop.

There are probably better ways to construct this with autofs....but I'm
not giving it too much thought....

I've also read where pam can be used for what you want....