Anaconda problem with sata drives

Mick M. off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 17:54:34 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 8/19/09, Mick M. <off_by_1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> OK so Newegg had a sale on Samsung sata drives so I bought
> 2.
> I planned to use the raid connectors and run F11 on them.
>
> I installed the drives and created a raid 1 in the BIOS.
> Then I installed F11 with updates onto it.
>
> It would not boot.
> I selected it in the BIOS as first boot, but grub wanted a
> BIOS disk ID.
> When the system boots the raid is not shown in the sata/ide
> first screen.
>
> I fought it for a long time and even re-installed.
> Finally I gave up.
> I went into the BIOS and cleared the raid so it was JBOD.
> Then I put the drives onto the "normal" sata connectors and
> disabled the raid sata.
>
> I was able to fdisk and format both drives just fine.
> One as data and one for F11 /boot ext3 swap / as ext4.
>
> When I try to insstall F11 it cannot see the drive,at the
> partitioning screen.
>
> I get an OK  box:
> "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on
> which to create new file systems.
> Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem"
>
> I then installed Mint linux, and F10 to the drive just
> fine
> F11 refuses to install.
>
> I tried "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" with no change.
>
> While the installer is hanging I can Ctl-Alt-F2 and "fdisk
> -l"
> It sees the drive just fine, Ctl-Alt-F^ to the installer
> and it dies.
>

> Any ideas?

To clarify:
Both new drives are now installed as regular sata drives.
Both work fine under F11, are seen in fdisk and act normally.
They are both seen in the BIOS boot menu.

However they are NOT seen by anaconda during install.
It just shows the drive with F11 on it, all are sata.

I tried "linux nodmraid" still failed.

I get as far as the partitioning screen, after root password.
No matter what I choose (normally "custom"), it fails to see them.

I can and have installed F10 on one of them just fine.
F11 and F12-alpha fail.

Any ideas?

Mick M.

Standard guarantee applies - 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.